Saturday, August 8, 2026

Bitter Mai Tai

 

Story

Well, shoot.  As I’ve said before, I tend toward dogmatic when it comes to cocktail names.  The classic example is the Wisconsin Old Fashioned, which is a completely different drink than an Old Fashioned.  If you make a different thing, my thinking goes, give it a different name.  The Mai Tai is classic tiki drink that’s rum, lime juice, orgeat, and orange liqueur.  Trader Vic didn’t publish the recipe for this fantastically popular cocktail for 30 years, leaving others to try and recreate it using guesswork.  That, along with the simplicity and flexibility of the recipe, have made it one of the most riffed-upon cocktails in all of tiki.  A little tweak here and there, and sure, maybe you still have a Mai Tai.  But when a third of the drink is Campari???  Nope.

Unfortunately for my inner curmudgeon, I really like this concoction.  It’s bitter and citrusy, with almost a grapefruit character.  Its bright pink color belies the long astringent tail.  And the cocktail, invented by Brooklyn bartender Jeremy Ortel, is well-established, so I can’t just change the name.  Well, Bitter Mai Tai it is then.  I’ll have another.  Cheers!

Recipe

 1.5 oz Campari
0.75 oz Jamaican rum (I used Smith & Cross)
0.75 oz orgeat
0.5 oz orange liqueur (I used Pierre Ferrand dry curacao)
1 oz lime juice
-Shake ingredients with a cup of crushed or pebbly ice.  Dump into old fashioned glass, then fill with additional ice.  Optional: garnish with a sprig of mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment