Story
The journey to the Coral Current began with the search for a tiki-style punch that didn't overlap with the other three cocktails on the menu at a party. The Mai Tai (rum and lime), Saturn (gin and passion fruit), and Elusive Dreams (rum and pineapple) covered a lot of territory flavor-wise, so finding something different was a challenge. I tried a Scorpion Bowl (too similar to the Mai Tai), the Ancient Mariner (too rum-forward for a punch drink) and several other tiki concoctions without success. I didn't have a grapefruit flavor in the mix, so I thought of the classic Paloma cocktail (tequila, lime juce, and grapefruit soda). While not really a tiki drink, it has a sufficiently sandy-beach vibe to sit alongside the other cocktails without clashing. The Aperol Paloma is a common variant that adds some mildly bitter complexity. And while the blanco tequila was lovely in combination with the citrus, a switch to lightly aged blended rum put the flavors firmly in the right category. And while I could go for the classic Squirt grapefruit soda, I prefer the less sweet combination of fresh grapefruit juice, soda water, and a bit of agave nectar. This particular combination didn't yet have a name, so I looked at the coral pink color and thought of the oceanside mindset I was shooting for. The Coral Current was born.
1 oz lightly aged blended rum (Planteray 3-star)
1 oz Aperol
2 oz fresh grapefruit juice
0.5 oz lime juice
0.25 tsp agave nectar or simple syrup
2 oz chilled club soda
-Shake everything but the club soda with ice. Strain over fresh ice and add the sparkling water. Stir gently.
-To make a punch instead: scale up ingredients proportionally. Combine everything except club soda in punch bowl with ice or ice ring. Add club soda and stir gently.
This was delicious! And much appreciated when there was a line for the made-to-order cocktails 😊
ReplyDelete